I've been experimenting with ways to present Tarlton's Jests as a work in progress over on The Tarlton Project. I decided that the best way to demonstrate how this project is coming together is to push preliminary experiments, using TEI Boilerplate for styling purposes.
I've been thinking a lot lately (all right, again) about transmission of visual artifacts in early modern England and how access - and lack thereof - would have informed perceptions of place and people. I'm not sure where I want to go with this, but here are three examples of what's swirling in my head:
The other night I had one of those eureka! moments that bring me joy and make me crazy. But mostly bring me joy.
As some of you know I've been trying to sort out how to track Queen's Men touring practices in the 1580s by teasing information out of the Records of Early English Drama dataset and looking at it on maps. I had some early success - 1583 record scraps offered what looks like a split tour during the summer months. I've been pinning the record scraps to an ArcGIS online map (and a pretty crappy job I did of it, too) and explaining away the vagueness of my plotting because I don't always have very specific geo references (aside from an extant guildhall here and there, for which I'm grateful.) Continue reading Asking Better Questions