This week I submitted the F1 old-spelling transcription of Henry VIII to ISE. To be specific, I submitted a light mark-up to an already thorough one undertaken by ISE's research assistants. All of the hardcore TEI had already been done (character id's, line numbering, indication of long s's, and much more); I was responsible for going through the file, adding stage directions and props, identifying verse or prose mode where I could, things like that. It was one of those projects that made me grateful for my dual monitor set-up: I had the file open in Oxygen on one monitor and the F1 facsimile open in the other. Continue reading On marking up Henry VIII
It's been a strange few months. Flying back last night from an Open Annotation conference I realized that I've really struggled with how to represent myself on this site. I've used it mainly as vehicle to articulate teaching experiences and some research work - but I've been very conscious of treading carefully due to being on the job market.
My hope is that the space will be one where I can consider larger research questions and reflect at more length on the work that I will be doing at Bucknell. So over the coming weeks (and glorying in the craziness of moving, teaching at DHSI, and starting a new job) I'll experiment anew with my voice and how to use it here.
Watch this space.
... or, How I Learned to Love the Google Doc
This semester the subject of my English 1102 course is "The Rhetoric of Digital Media and Interaction Design." I've wanted to teach this for a while: not only does it allow me to flex my DH muscles in a way I haven't in the last few semesters, but I also believe there is a real need for Georgia Tech students to understand how and why they respond to digital media and how they can become better developers of well-crafted software.
Early indicators suggest that I've struck a nerve. This is the first semester I haven't lost a single student in the drop/add period and I'm still getting emails asking if I'll consider a course override. Several students have come up to me at the end of class and actually squee'd - something I haven't experienced at GT at the start of Shakespeare-related courses. I'm working to incorporate as many meta-lessons as possible, encouraging students to break the tools and texts we're using. And so the breaking has begun. Continue reading The Quick Write and the Coke Machine …